Member Author Book Search
It is time once again to begin our search for USITT member authors who are interested in participating in the USITT 2020 Member Author Book Signing Event. Members who have authored or co-authored a book in theatre design or technology may participate in this event. The title must be published and available for purchase by Dec. 31, 2019. USITT will purchase copies and ship them to Conference for the event. Event times and dates will be available as they are scheduled.
This event is a great opportunity to promote your book to thousands of performing arts and entertainment professionals.
Please contact Carol Carrigan for more information.
Behind the Scenes Requests Industry Participation in Online Survey as First Step
in Developing a Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Initiative
Behind the Scenes, in response to concerns about the rising number of suicides and the prevalence of alcohol/substance misuse within the entertainment industry, is beginning work on a Mental Health and Suicide Prevention initiative and wants to get a sense of how many people in the industry are experiencing anxiety, depression, thoughts of suicide, problems with alcohol/substance misuse, or reactions to traumatic events.
The goal of the initiative is to provide easily accessible information, tools, and resources to members of the entertainment technology industry that will offer:
- Resources for individuals to make it easier to self-identify issues and seek help in early stages as well as crisis situations.
- Tools and training that will increase industry members’ confidence about how to reach out and provide assistance to individuals in need of support.
- Employers and supervisors with tools and resources to become effective leaders in:
- Changing the culture regarding mental health
- Identifying and supporting at-risk individuals
- Responding to a mental health crisis such as suicide or accidental overdose
- Reintegrating individuals who have been impacted by a mental health or substance misuse crisis back into the workplace
Joining Behind the Scenes in developing this initiative are representatives of major stakeholder groups such as IATSE, The Broadway League, NBCUniversal, and MusiCares as well as individuals from around the industry willing to share their unique knowledge of this subject.
The first step in developing the program is to learn from you, the industry, how prevalent you believe these issues are and what tools and resources would be helpful to you personally or in assisting someone you are concerned about.
Behind the Scenes seeks to reach a wide and diverse group of respondents in the U.S. and Canada with this survey. Please help them reach as many people as possible by mentioning this survey to your co-workers and colleagues.
All information will be reviewed and published only in aggregate and will not include any information that identifies any individual participant. All responses will be kept private and confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Ohio Valley Conference
USITT’s Ohio Valley Section has announced their Fall 2019 Conference taking place Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Northern Kentucky University Fine Arts Center. A large selection of sessions will be offered such as Creating Weapons for Stage and Cosplay, Green practices On and Off Stage, the Wonder of Worbla, Alternate Theatre Industry Careers, Effective Production Management, and more.
The full day’s tentative schedule is as follows:
- 7:30-9 a.m.: Registration and possible Early Bird session from 8-9 a.m.
- 8:45 a.m.: Exhibitors open, Coffee and Networking
- 9 a.m.: All *Ezekial Entries must be turned in.
- 9:15-10:15 a.m.: Opening/Welcome announcements
- 10:15 a.m.: *Ezekial Exhibition Opens
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.: Morning session 1
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.: Morning session 2
- 12:45-2 p.m.: Lunch, Exhibits, *Ezekials.
- We are exploring the possibility of including an onsite lunch to encourage networking.
- 2-3 p.m.: Afternoon session 1
- 3:15-4:15 p.m.: Afternoon session 2, Exhibits close
- 4:30 p.m.: All conference meeting and *Ezekial Awards Announced
- 5 p.m.: Conference concludes
To register for the conference, click here.
Missouri State offers Mini Workshops associated with Cats Production
USITT Heart of America section members and others are invited to Mini Workshops associated with Missouri State’s production of Cats. Potential topics include mixing musicals using Dante networks, a Yamaha CL 3 console, Shure wireless transmitters and receivers, and Countryman microphone elements. Possible additional discussions about using QLab for projections, costumes, costume rentals, property construction, scenery design around a sprung dance floor, and lighting, Sunday, Oct. 27.
Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. with workshops from 12:30-2 p.m., curtain for the production at 2:30 p.m., and following the show around 4:45-6:15 p.m.
All events will be held in Craig Hall on the Missouri State Campus at 901 S. National Ave. Springfield MO. Free parking is available across Grand St.
Please email Mark Putman with interests in any or all these discussions so a schedule can be arranged/confirmed. If you have ideas for an additional workshop please feel free to suggest something. A quantity of tickets are available with the workshops’ cost of $20 for adults or $10 for students with ID.
Intermountain Desert Meet & greet
Join the Intermountain Desert Section in Las Vegas on Nov. 23 for LDI and a meet and greet event hosted by The Strat with complimentary tickets for section members to Celestia. Registration is FREE for current section members and will include floor passes to LDI. Registration for this event will open on Nov. 1 with limited space. Lodging is not provided. Find more information, here.